I solved a problem with Powershell.

We’ve been having some strange issues at work with our email archive solution. The “fix” from the vendor, was to install some software on all of our backend exchange servers…. Yeah that’s how I felt about it as well. Being the kind of change that you must test it was time to set up a lab. I grabbed my white board and wrote down what was needed.

1 Domain Controller
3 Exchange Servers
2 SQL servers
2 WIN2K (email archive)

Without really even thinking about it I opened PowerShell, and went about getting this done. Four commands and 1hr later we were installing exchange!

[28]PS>Get-VirtualSwitch -VMHost (Get-VMHost esx15) -Name DEV04 | New-VirtualPortGroup -name "" -VLanId 900

[29]PS>$folder = New-Folder -name DEV04 -Location (Get-Folder vm)

[36]PS>1..8 | % { New-VM -Name “EMAILDEV$($_)” -ResourcePool (get-ResourcePool ADMIN_DEV) -Location $folder -Template (get-template WIN2K3_ENT_x86) -OSCustomizationSpec (Get-OSCustomizationSpec WIN2K3_ENT_x86)
-datastore (get-datastore vmdata0) -VMHost (get-vmhost esx15) -RunAsync }

[263]PS>Get-Folder DEV04 | get-vm | Get-NetworkAdapter | Set-NetworkAdapter -NetworkName “”

A couple of things to note it took 4 or 5 -whatif attempts to get the new-VM cmd right, and the hour was waiting for the vm’s to deploy.  I know that there is nothing new here, but I often see too many “case studies” with powershell… they overcomplicate things.

yesterday I solved a problem with Powershell.  I didn’t write a script.  I didn’t need v2 remoting.   Just four very simple yet incredibly powerful commands…    Give it a try some time just open posh, and TRY to solve a problem… I’ll admit that it is daunting at first, but after a while the reward is ten fold.


P.S. Did I mention that the VI Toolkit is friggin amazing!

Leave a Reply